Signal has since been the App Store’s number one app in India and has had over 10 million PlayStore downloads. Since WhatsApp’s notorious terms of service began to surface on people’s notifications, the app saw a surge of downloads. To date, Signal has been publicly recommended by Tesla CEO Elon Musk, American whistleblower Edward Snowden and Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey. The software is available on Android, laptops, and iOS. Here is how you can download Signal app on your phone.
It is possible to import the Signal app from the Apple App Store or Google PlayStore. The software runs on iOS 9.0 or later for iPhone users and is compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch smartphones. It runs on Android 4 and higher models for Android devices.
How to Download Signal App on your Phone & Tablet
Here’s how you can download and install the Signal app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store on your phone:
- Download and update Signal Private Messenger from the App Store or Google PlayStore from Open WhisperSystems.
- In order to download the app, iPhone users can press ‘Get’.
- Please choose Install. Users of iPhones may be asked to enter passwords for Apple IDs.
- Press the Open tab.
- Type your number on the phone.
- Users of iPhones would need to pick ‘Activate This Device.’
- You will be asked to enter a six-digit code which will be sent to you via SMS from the app.
- After the code has been checked, tap Send. Users may either validate the code manually or allow Signal to explicitly copy it.
- The signal would then seek authorization to deliver updates to you. Pick Open. Tap Allow.
- You will be expected to set your image and name for the profile. On the app, this name will be revealed to your contacts.
- As per your requirement, tap Save or Skip.
Signal would enable the sender to download the software as well as the recipient.
Android users may also configure their default program to Signal. This will encourage users to keep their SMS and signal messages in one location. Users can tap Use as their default SMS app to allow this option. However, Signal will encrypt all messages that are not sent via the app, i.e. Signal will only encrypt messages if all users have the Signal software.
Signal enables users to send community, email, graphic, audio and video messages encrypted end-to-end, and to allow encrypted audio and video calls.
To write a Signal message:
Signal will ask for authorization to reach your contacts. Tap Okay or Allow If you do not offer permission to Signal to reach your contact, you will be forced to manually enter your contacts.
Users can pick a touch and press the pen icon to access the signal code. A daily SMS would be sent to users who do not have a signal. From current chat applications, you can also migrate groups to Signal.
To start an audio call that is encrypted end-to-end:
Users of the signal will make encrypted contact calls by picking the contact, and then by pressing the phone icon. Users can see a tiny padlock icon next to the phone icon as the receiver acknowledges the call.
To start an encrypted video call from end-to-end
To do video calls on Signal, users have to follow the same steps. You may need to allow Signal to get access to your microphone and camera.